Friday, May 6, 2011

Good things DO come to those who wait!

1 Samuel Chapter 1 & 2

You know, I think it's kind of human nature to bargain with God.  At least once in your life.  I've done it.  Especially back in the day when I was still trying to win God's love.

"God, if you make these tests come back negative, I'll quit smoking for sure this time."

"I promise, God, if I get this job, I'm going to to start giving more to others."

"God, I promise, if you heal my mother I will start going to church on a regular basis."

Don't act like you've never done it, too!   

After reading the story of Hannah I thought about it for a bit.  "I wonder if God made Hannah wait for a son, not to draw her closer to Him, or cause her to lean on Him - but so that she would make Him a promise?"

Every year, Hannah would go to Shiloh to worship and offer sacrifices to God and every year she'd pray for a son, something she wanted more than anything else in the world.

She couldn't eat, she cried - she was teased and taunted for her barrenness.  The bible says she was in deep anguish.  Deep.  Right down to the pit of her stomach.  

Year after year.

..after year.

Finally, out of desperation she cried out to God, "PLEASE, God!  Give me a son!  I'll do anything!  I'll even give him back to you if that's what you want!  His very life will be yours!"  

Wowzers.  Not sure if THAT'S the promise I would have given.  I may have said, "Sure, I'll quit my job and be a stay at home mom", or, "I want a son so bad, I'm willing to (gulp) home school him...I promise to teach him all your ways", I might even go so very far as to say, "God, if you give me a child I will bring him to church every single day!

But, give him back to God?  Let another man raise him?  I often wonder if Hannah found regret in the hidden corners of her heart.   

Even her husband knew how difficult it would be saying, "May the Lord help you keep your promise." (1:23)  

Bringing that boy to the temple and handing him over to a stranger was probably the most difficult thing Hannah had ever done, and would ever do. 

But, Hannah, in the midst of her pain, instead of allowing her  feelings and emotions rule her actions - worshiped her God instead.  

Did I hear that correctly?  Worshipped?  She didn't fall down and cry? Admit to the Holy of Holies that she was didn't understand what she was committing to only a few short years ago?  Beg Him to grant mercy on his lowly servant and change his mind? 
Nope.  She prayed an absolutely beautiful prayer.  I grabbed a few of my favorite verses from the passage I wrote my own version of her prayer:

"My heart rejoices in the Lord, how He has blessed me!  No one is holy like the Lord, there is no rock like our God!  He lifts the poor from a pile of ashes, placing them in seats of honour.  No one will succeed in strength alone, those who fight against the Lord will be broken.  He gives mighty strength to his anointed ones."  

Imagine!  Her heart rejoices in the Lord, as she hands over her son to a priest named Eli.   

God used Hannah because He knew her heart.  He knew she had a spirit of obedience and loyalty to Him.  He also knew that she would pass a firm foundation on to her boy in the few short years that it took to wean him.

Eli failed to discipline his sons and as a result they lived a life of disgrace before the Lord.  In the very same house, the bible says that, "Meanwhile, Samuel grew up in the presence of the Lord." (2:21)

God had a plan, Samuel was destined to be the last judge of Israel, and that plan was fulfilled through an ordinary women of extraordinary faith.

Even though the bible dedicates two entire books to the the life of Samuel with little else said about his mother, the story was far from over for Hannah. 

It turns out that some stories do have happy endings.  That good things do come to those who wait....and to those who keep their word.  Because Hannah was faithful and honoured her promise - God gave her five more children!

And although it doesn't say, I like to think Hannah was given one child for every year that she waited for Samuel.

...cause God's just like that.

No comments: