Friday, May 13, 2011

Just like everyone else

1 Samuel 8

Samuel's starting to get old so he appoints his sons as judges.

His greedy, money hungry, sons.

They're nothing like their father and Israel's sees right through them, they want nothing to do with them.  Instead, they request a king so "they can be just like other nations".

Samuel's really upset.  Heartbroken, he goes before God for advise.  God's reply touches my heart, for it gives me a glimpse into His:


"Do as they say, for it's me they're rejecting. They don't want ME as their king anymore. Ever since I brought them from Egypt they have continually forsaken me and followed other gods." (8:7-8)


Ugh!  It's too bad the Israelites didn't have giant shoes so they could have just kicked God in the mighty stomach!  How sad! A loving father, being rejected by his children.


I have two kids, myself.  One's a teen and the other a young adult.  I admit I tend to get upset when they take me for granted.  I feel a little sorry for myself, go hide in a corner and lick my wounds hoping no one someone will notice.   

How much more would the sting of rejection be!  MY children?  Turning their back on me?  After ALL I've done for them? 

I can only imagine the grief God felt.


God still loves them and He does what any loving parent would do - he urges Samuel to send warnings of how a king will treat them.

But....Israel still wants a king.

They still want to be like other nations.

Once again, I see myself mirrored in an entire nation.

Everyday, there's a struggle within me over who I am....why can't I be like everyone else?  Why can't I sing like the worship leader?  It's not fair that my house isn't as nice as my friend's. I wish I were bold like that person?  If only I were more soft spoken like that lady.

It's as though I size myself up upon entering a room, comparing myself to everyone around me....at least in some small way.  Couldn't I just have the best parts of everyone all wrapped up...in me?

Prideful much?  Really though, that's what insecurity is.  It's a form of pride!  I'm basically saying, the person who God created me to be, isn't good enough.  
God had a wonderful plan for the Israelites - but they rejected His plan and came up with their own - so they can be just like everyone else.

"Lord, help me to be happy with who I am, exactly who I am.  More importantly, help me see who I am going to become, through you.  I pray that I will spend my energy being the best me, fulfilling the plans and purpose you have for me instead of striving to be something that I am not."

2 comments:

Natasha said...

Loving your blog Tracie, keep it coming!

Chipper said...

Thanks and will do! I don't know when you get the time to read, but bless you for doing so!!