Saturday, April 16, 2011

Manna vs honey. No brainer?

Joshua 21

A chapter of victory!  Although most of the chapter is designated for "who got what land" there were a few concluding verses that could possibly be the most important verses of the first six books of the bible. 

Verses 43-45 (in my words)

The Lord gave to Israel ALL the land He had promised their ancestors and they conquered and settled there.   God gave them rest on every side, non of their enemies could stand against them.  The Lord helped them conquer their enemies.  ALL of the good promises CAME TRUE!

While I read these verses with my eyes - this is what I was reading with my heart:

The Lord gave to me ALL of the desires of my heart - love, acceptance, security, faith, grace, self-control, etc.  God gave me rest, peace, and no matter what situation I found myself in -my enemies could not stand against me.  The Lord helped me conquer my enemies - temptation, guilt, selfishness, shame, insecurity, laziness, the list goes on.  ALL of the good promises CAME TRUE!

I, too, can live as victorious as the Israelites!  I am saved, by the blood of Christ, that much is true.  However, God wants me to live a life of victory!  I can either stay back in the desert and eat manna (yuck) for the rest of my life or I can take a step of faith - cross over to the Jordan and eat *milk and honey! (*translation: cheesecake)  

I am a child of the most high God and he's going to take care of me right where I am, every day.  He's promised me that. 

BUT:

I can stay comfortable, sporting my "never aging" sandals, enjoying the daily cloud of shade and warming fire at night.  Yes, safe and sound in my own camp, with my own people, continually blocking the sound of God's voice telling me it's time to move on.  

OR:

I can stand at the edge, expecting God to part the Jordan for me every day, so I can faithfully cross over on dry land and enjoy a feast!  And not to forget, while I'm feasting there's rest on everyside!  Life at it's best!  Everything God intended for me!  What an adventure!  

Why would I want to "camp out" everynight when I can board a luxury cruise line?    

That's what God wants to know....      

No comments: