Thursday, April 14, 2011

Take a look in the mirror, girlfriend.

Joshua 4-13

More miracles!  God parted the Jordan and His people (once again) walked on dry ground!  Honestly, it's hard to believe that they are going to turn away from God again.  It's just a matter of when.

As I was reading this passage, I'm embarrassed to admit that I wasn't exactly cheering for the Israelites.  I was fist pumping God, excited that He showed his power again but I couldn't help but think, "They don't deserve all that God has done for them."      

Wow.  Self-righteous much? 

But really, I couldn't help but think about how much God has done for the Israelites.  I mean, He did A LOT!  And it's not just what He's done for them, but how many times He's forgiven them!  

And Moses has already prophesied that they are going to turn their backs on God again!  "Why, those ungrateful, disobedient, sandal wearing, cloud following...."   

Then the light bulb flickered. 

How have I been any different?  How many times have I expected God to give me HIS best, when I was so unwilling to give him MY best?  

It's caused me to change the way I look at obedience.  It's made me want to please God.

Even though I know that God knows my heart inside and out...there are times when I don't.  I know my salvation is not about acts but I kind of like having a "tangible" way to show God that I love Him back.

Boy, it's real easy to see the faults in others, eh?  Maybe I ought to take the plank out of my eye next time I look in the mirror.

No comments: