Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Mighty hero? Me?

Judges 6 - 13

True to it's name, I encountered many deliverers in this book.  Deliverers that God called, "judges".  I won't write about all of them but there were a few that stood out, mostly because their stories were fun to read!

Ehud - This guy was left handed, like me!  He delivered tax money to King Eglon and one day he  brought the king a secret message - a dagger to the belly!  I especially found it amusing that God felt the need to mention that the king was so fat that Ehus lost his dagger! 

Deborah - a great story!  She believed God, NEVER doubting.  She brought Israel to victory over Sisra, who had 900 chariots!  Deborah, like Moses wrote a song for the Israelites so they would never forget all that God has done for them. 

Those are just a two of the many judges that God used, but there is another man, one whose story reminds me that God always sees what we can become, not what we really are.

Gideon.

The angel refers to him as, "Mighty hero", when he first calls on him.  He sure didn't think of himself that way.  In fact, I think the last thing Gideon felt like was a mighty hero!

He reminded the Lord "my clan is the weakest in the whole tribe of Manasseh, and I am the least in my entire family!" (6:15)

Now, I don't don't know if "least" means youngest, or smallest or even weakest but one thing is for sure...Gideon did not have the confidence to be "a mighty hero."

And isn't it just like God to use him anyway?

God's response to him was, "I will be with you."  (vs 16)

The treasure I loved in this story was -- Gideon was not the obvious choice. 

He was cynical

...or sincere if you will.  Raw.  Sometimes we need to tell God exactly how we feel.  I think God appreciates that.  I believe it brings us to a deeper level with Him.  Gideon had NO problem doing that, "if God's with us, why has all this happened to us?  Where are all the miracles our ancestors told us about?  The Lord has abandoned us." (6:13) Sarcasm much?

He was skeptic

He needed a sign from God - not just once - but three times! He asked God, "please don't be angry with me but if you are truly going to use me...I need proof". (6:39) Fighting against the Midians could possibly mean life or death!  He wanted to be absolutely sure that THIS WAS GOD! 

He was scared

God asked him to tear down his father's alter that he had build for Baal, an idol.  Although Gideon obeyed....he did it at night because "he was afraid of the other members of his father's household and the people of the town." (6:27) 

Finally believing that God is behind him, Gideon watches as God removes all of the props in which he might have trusted.  His army was reduced from 32,000 to 300!  His weapons were reduced to pitches, torches and trumpets and his strategy was but a single command, "Stand still!" 

God's a pretty awesome multi-tasker. He was increasing Gideon's faith but at the same time, He also wanted to be sure that the Israelites couldn't boast, saying they saved themselves, by their own strength. 

God saw the ending.  He knew that Gideon would be a mighty hero.  He also knew that Gideon would give all the glory to God. 

Israel asked him to be their ruler.  His response? 

"The Lord will rule over you!" (8:23)

There was peace for 40 years - during the rest of Gideon's life.

I'm so glad that God loves us for who we are...but sees us for what we can be! 

No comments: