Friday, April 15, 2011

What's YOUR story?

Joshua 14

(Verses 8-13)

I just had to make a special journal entry for this small passage of scripture. 

I absolutely loved reading how Caleb boasted - in the Lord.  He was so thankful that he was 85 years old and in as good shape as ever!  He's even talking about "driving the Anakites out of their land"

For some reason, it strikes me funny when "characters" in the bible say or do something that makes them more "human" - in my eyes.  I truly believe the bible is the inspired word of God, the living word, and I fully trust that these people existed.  They were real!  But, I've been reading or hearing about these people and their stories since I was little and there are some cases that they almost become "fictional" to me. 

That's why I appreciate hearing an old man bragging about being as strong as he was in his youth - that he can travel and fight as good as he did before!  I just just see him kicking his leg up over a chair as he said it too, just in case they didn't believe him.  Grampy used to do that...

There's a powerful message in his Caleb's testimony.  At first he appears to be proud - a self-reliant soldier.  Although he begins by saying what he had to "do" to maintain his health it quickly becomes apparent that he wasn't tooting his own horn.  He said "for my part, I followed the Lord, my God, completely." 

He was simply giving credit where credit was due!  He continued by saying, "the Lord has kept me alive and well." 

Indeed He did.  Just as He had promised.

Caleb's testimony reminded me that when we are truly witnessing, we are not talking about ourselves, but about God. 

God uses our stories, but all the glory is His!  Amen!

No comments: