Friday, February 18, 2011

How did we get here again?

Deuteronomy 1-4

I can tell already that this is going to be a great book!  It begins as Moses recaps their entire journey in a sermon.  I guess I've never really looked at Moses as a preacher before, more of a doer.   

It's also a book that reveals a lot about God's character, which I'm desperately hungry for. How can I even begin to fully understand God's love for me if I don't even know Him?  I've always taken everyone else's word for it, "God is good.  God is love. God is faithful."  I've never examined things for myself, really.  In fact, a lot of evidence that I've seen points more to, "Really God?  This is what you call fair?  This is how you show love?"  But the more I read and the more I learn about Him, where He's coming from, the more I realize that I've been viewing things from MY perspective. He really IS good, He really IS love and He really IS fair.  He really IS so much more.  This is good.     

OK, back to Deuteronomy.  As I was reading through, I came across scripture that Jesus, Himself, quoted when He was being tempted in the desert by Satan.  I keep forgetting this was His bible!  The bible of His times, when He walked on the earth.    

Deuteronomy begins with Moses reminding the Israelites why they just spent 40 years in the desert.  I have to remember that this is a whole new generation, a whole new people (except for Joshua and Caleb).  I'm sure they were told through the years, what the deal was.  But just in case they didn't get it, Moses spends a little time highlighting their journey as a people. 

He quoted himself, what he had said when they were scared to claim the land God had given them, "Don't be afraid!  The Lord your God is going before you!  He will fight for you, just as you saw Him do in Egypt!"  (1:29,30)

But they hadn't listened.  The sad part is, once they realized they had sinned against God they strapped on their weapons, ready to conquer the hills!  But it was too late.  God warned them if they went ahead, He would not be with them.  So, naturally they obeyed God and went back to their camps they arrogantly went into the hill country to fight.  Their enemies came against them like a swarm of bees and chased and battered them all the way back.

Moses continues to go over the past 40 years to remind them that God is forgiving, merciful, just, holy and powerful.  

It makes me think that it was his final "pep talk" before the real battle.  

I was was also surprised to read that Moses is a (teeny) bit like me after all!  I had journaled earlier this week how I would have had a pity party if God told me I wasn't able to go into the promised land, where as Moses was only concerned that his people wouldn't have a leader. 

In this passage though, Moses recalled how he actually spent time praising and pleading God to let him, "Please pass cross the Jordan to see the wonderful land on the other side, the beautiful hill country and the Lebanon mountains." (3:23-25)

This was his review of the account when it first took place, and from what I can remember, Numbers didn't document Moses' plea to God.  Another reason, I LOVE reading my bible as a whole.  It revealed another facet of Moses.  He became someone I can relate to.  Seriously though, that's what anyone would have done!  Of course he wanted to cross the Jordan.  What human would rather die?     

God told Him, "That's enough!  Speak of it no more!" (3:26)

Typical parent... 

No comments: