Tuesday, February 15, 2011

What? No pity party?

Numbers 27

I really admire the way Moses reacted when God reminded him that he will not be entering the promised land because of disobedience. 

Pretty sure I would have begged God to change His mind.  I'd remind him about all the times that I did obey Him. 

How terrified I was when He called me to approach the Pharoah on behalf of His people.  I really didn't want to - but I did. 

How I trusted Him when my enemies were chasing after me and and He led me straight to the sea - to what seemed like a dead end.

Yup, I would have pleaded, begged and cried.  And when that didn't work - maybe a bit of bargaining, or a touch of manipulation.   

And then, if God still didn't change His mind, I'd throw a little pity party for myself.  I'd probably go off somewhere alone, crying and feeling very sorry for myself.  Wondering if God even loved me. 

But that's just me.  

Now Moses, he simply asks God to appoint a new leader.

His main concern was that the people would have someone to lead them into battle.  He didn't want them to be "sheep without a shepherd".  (27:17)

Oh!  To be selfless like that!  In my darkest hour to be more concerned with the needs of others.  

That is my prayer today.


 

No comments: