Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Straddling a fence

Lev 8-20

"If you obey my laws and regulations, you will find life  through them.  I am the Lord."
          - Leviticus 18:5

My Daily Walk bibles asks, "Are you transformed by godliness or conformed to worldliness?" 

I wondered, can you be both?  Then I read the next sentence, "or are you deformed by trying to be both?

It went on to suggest a list of areas in my life in which I may be too much of a conformist so I did. 

I ended up with a list that revealed just how deformed I am, most of which will remain in my personal journal.  They ranged from the TV programs/movies that I watched to sacrificing my time with God for other activities.  

Could my shirts be a little more modest? 

What about the "questionable" jokes that I laugh at so I won't offend the person telling them? 

Every single thing that was on that list, is something I can change NOW.  They are actions - something I can do or control, myself, to be one step closer to being fully transformed into the likeness of Christ. 

There are other things that take time to change - having more compassion, self-control, resisting thoughts of jealousy or judgment - those things will come through prayer, trials and practice.  These are issues of the heart and mind. 

How can I expect to be renewed in my heart and mind, if, by my actions I am conformed to the world?

The truth is, I can't.  I can't walk in perfect harmony with the world and expect to be transformed into God's character.  It can't be done. 

I can pretend.  But who wants to be deformed?

I heard a quote once and God brought it to mind today.  I think it's very fitting.

"A person can't go anywhere while they are straddling a fence."

No comments: