Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Riddle me this....

Leviticus 21 - 27

In chapter 21:16-23, God commands Moses to tell Aaron that any descendants that have birth defects are disqualified from presenting offerings to God (being a priest).

What the heck?  I thought God was all about "equal opportunity"?  I don't understand that AT ALL.  First of all, these are physical defects He's talking about - blind, lame, hump back, etc. - it's not even their fault!

It's not even that they are mentally disabled.  They fully understand what's going on around them. 

Even the way it's worded troubles me, "No one who has a defect can come near to me..." (vs 18)

I know God is God.  He makes up the rules and He has reasons, I'm sure it has something to do with His holiness.

But it's those very people that Jesus is drawn to in the New Testament.  It's these very contradictions that confuse me.

I turn to God's word to find out more about Him, who He is and often times I end up with more questions!

No comments: