Thursday, January 27, 2011

...the end of book two.

I'm finishing the book of Exodus a different person then when I began. 

Before, Exodus was the book that would bring to a screeching halt, my New Year's resolution to "read my entire bible in a year". It was the book that went on and on and on about the same ol' thing.  It was a book of a far away God that seemed nothing like the Jesus I knew.

It was book that didn't apply to me.

In my quest to "journal through my bible" in hopes of finding out more about God and why He loves me so much (instead of taking everyone's word for it)  I knew I must trudge through Exodus, reminding myself that it's at least better than Leviticus and Numbers.  *SighI can't wait to get to the good stuff.  Bring on the Psalms.  Bring on the New Testament. 

What surprised me was that Exodus had transformed before my very eyes into a book filled with comfort, advise, encouragement and most of all it gave me what I am craving most - a glimpse of God.

Exodus changed me.  I've been a Christian since I was 12 years old (I'm now 30 something) and I've always tried sooo hard to please God so He'll love me more, or worse, feeling at the end of the day like I did nothing but disappoint him and made Him love me less.   I knew that wasn't true, at least I've been told that many times - through people, books...songs.  But I didn't get it.  You know?  It just didn't click.

Exodus was a light switch.  Seeing the way God responded to His people (that often reminded me of...me) made me realize that God loved them so, so much, just because.  He never gave up on them, never turned His back.  God loved them.  God loves us.  God. loves. me.   Light switch *click*   

He desperately wants me to love Him back.  He desperately wants to bless me, He wants to be my friend - He's passionate about me!!! 

BUT - He's still God.  And because He's God, He can not let sin go unpunished and THAT is why He made a way out for us.  That's why He sent Jesus. 

...and I'm soooooo glad He did because I really don't know if I could have offered animal sacrifices on a regular basis!  Yuck!  Ew!  Thank God, I don't have to find out!! 

Exodus isn't a boring ol' Testament book with a sole purpose of giving us rules and making us thankful we don't have to partake in animal sacrifice. 

It's a building block, a link, to the New Testament, the Gospel -God's perfect plan of Salvation and I can't wait to read it again.

No comments: