Saturday, January 22, 2011

Oops! Uh, sorry I left you in jail!

Gen 32 - 50

There's so much forgivness in the last half of Genesis - specifically with Joseph - he forgave his brother's for selling him and he forgave the kings cup bearer for forgetting about him in prison - for TWO years!


Imagine! The cup bearer - "Oops! Sorry! I guess I kind of forgot you were down here rotting in your prison cell. Awkward. But hey! The good news is I remembered, right? It's only been two years. Man! ...I knew there was something I was forgetting... they do say the mind is the first to go. Forgive me? I like your beard."


Actually, I don't even think he asked for Joseph's forgivenss. I'd have to go back and look.

and his brothers?  Really?  I mean who does that?  Who sells their brother?  "Yes, but at least we didn't kill him."  Oh that's real good of ya....

But seriously, what is the biggest thing I've had to forgive someone for?

What is the biggest thing I could forgive someone for?


I pray that I will be like Joseph and extend the same grace that God has shown me, to others. Over and over again.


In chapter 50 verses 19 and 20, we are given a little glimpse inside Joseph's head.


God first shows us an amazing example of forgivness, with Joseph's story, and He doesn't leave us hanging. He uses Joseph's words to teach us how to forgive, and more importantly - one of the reasons why we should forgive.


"Am I a God, to judge and punish you? As far as I'm concerned, God turned into good, what you meant for evil."


That statement made me think about how many times that I have felt I need to "punish" someone that has offended or hurt me.


"Give 'em the silent treatment. That'll teach 'em!"

...or perhaps talk about them behind their back. You know, tell someone else how that person has done me wrong so they, too, will see their "true colours".


It's not like I set out to do these things on purpose. It just kind of happens.


I also love the way Joseph dealt with temptation!


"He kept out of her way as much as possible."
- Gen 39:10


When Potiphar's wife wanted to sleep with Joseph - he kept out of her way.


Can it really be that S.I.M.P.L.E? When something is tempting us - keep out of it's way. Let God do the rest. He can work with our hearts and the Holy Spirit helps us with self-control but we have to do our part.


There so much to learn from Joseph's story.


I guess God didn't just put him there so I could pick pretty crayons for his "coat of many colours" in Sunday School!

No comments: