Tuesday, January 25, 2011

What kind of love?

Exodus 14-15

"Don't be afraid!  Just stand where you are and let the Lord rescue you."  - Ex 14:13 (Moses talking to the Israelites as Pharaoh's chariots are approaching)

Love it!!  Why am I always convinced that God is going to turn away from me or give me the "silent" treatment because I do something wrong, complain or doubt Him? 

Look at the Israelites!!  They were the "journeymen" of complainers and doubters!!  If you want to learn how to complain properly (if there is such a thing...and if it doesn't just come naturally to you as it does me...), just read the book of Exodus!  They are like a bunch of teenagers!  (Trust me, I live with one...I know!) 

...and yet time and time again, God was faithful to them. 

When I am I going to get it through my head that God loves me not because of something I've done or haven't done....but because of who He is?   He CAN'T not love me! 

No. matter. what. 

After He parted the Red Sea for a convenient escape, the Israelites sang a celebratory song proclaiming who He was and what He did.  (Chapter 15)

I always used to pass by these parts of my bible,  I have no idea why.  Now, I always use them to make lists.  I love making lists. 

When I begin to doubt that God can and will come through for me, I need to renew my mind with the truths from their song:

The Lord is:
  • My victory
  • My strength and my song
  • A warrior
  • Glorious in power
  • Great and majestic
  • Glorious and holy
  • Awesome in splendor
  • Unfailing love.
His actions:
  • He has triumphed gloriously
  • He has thrown horse and rider into the sea
  • He has thrown Pharaoh's chariots and armies into the sea
  • He dashed the enemy to pieces
  • He overthrew those who rose against Him
  • His anger flashed forth and consumed enemies like fire
  • At the blast of His breath, waters piled up.
  • He performs wonders
  • He raised His hand and the earth swallowed our enemies
  • He leads and guides His people
  • He silences enemies, He melts them with fear and terror - dread overcomes them
  • He plants His people on His mountain, to the place where His holiness dwells
THIS is who HE is and what HE does for His complaining, doubtful, and ungrateful children! 

What kind of love is this??   Certainly one that I want to receive more of.

...and give more of.

No comments: